FAO Recruitment 2023 invites qualified candidates for FAO Recruitment 2023 to fill the position of the Agribusiness and Product Development Specialist.
FAO also welcomes applications from qualified women and non-represented nationals, requiring only online recruitment through the official system.
About Food and Agricultural Organization
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) is a UN organization that coordinates international efforts to end hunger by providing expertise and data to both industrialized and developing nations. The FAO serves both developed and developing nations and functions as a neutral venue where all countries may come together to discuss agreements and formulate policies on an equal footing. Additionally, FAO is a knowledge and informational resource that helps developing nations and nations in transition modernize and enhance their agricultural, forestry, and fisheries practices in order to ensure everyone has access to a healthy diet and food security.
What Working at FAO Looks Like
FAO provides a multicultural work environment with staff from over 100 countries. As of 2015, it employed 1738 professional and 1510 support staff, with 60% based in Rome. The proportion of women in professional staff has nearly doubled in the last 15 years. FAO offers development opportunities, performance management, and a staff mobility program.
Job Title: Agribusiness and Program Development Specialist
The FAO is working to enhance climate resilience and efficiency of natural resources in Egypt, focusing on improving land, water, fertilizer, and pesticide management. The organization is implementing projects to support smallholder farmers in managing their resources, including modern irrigation techniques, land use consolidation, and transforming waste into valuable secondary products. The position is located in Cairo and aims to achieve food security, nutrition, sustainable use of resources, reduce poverty, strengthen livelihood resilience, and accelerate progress towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Under the overall supervision of FAO Representative in Egypt, the direct supervision of the project Manager, with the guidance of the project Chief Technical Advisor (CTA), the technical senior land and water officer (FAO-RNE), and in close collaboration with the FAO country and regional offices and project personnel, as well as Government counterparts and all stakeholders, the incumbent will carry out the following tasks.
The assignment aims to develop entrepreneurial mindsets in rural communities, establish efficient, sustainable, and commercially viable agrifood Enterprise Models, and develop national capacities in MSME, business management, access to finance, and improving quality standards.
The incumbent will work closely with the FAO Gender department at country/regional and HQ levels to ensure gender-sensitive MSME development and FAO-related policies.
Tasks And Responsibilities
- Supports monitoring and reviewing the status of program and project implementation in FAO Egypt
- Assist in FAO Egypt’s resource mobilization efforts, including contributing to the development of concept notes with potential partners.
- Other duties as needed.
- Carry out data and information collection and analysis.
- Coordinate the planning and implementation of data collection activities on opportunities for MSMEs establishment, new legislations including preparing data collection tools and methodology.
- Conduct data cleaning, analysis, validation, and visualization and develop structure for synthesis and reporting the information gathered in the field.
- Collect, collate and review relevant documentation (ex. new legislations, initiatives, etc.) on the field of MSMEs financing/ creation/renewal/expansion, etc.
- Identify successful examples of small enterprises in the region and document the findings.
- Analyse and evaluate the experience, success factor and design a road map for the project activities that incorporate the findings.
- Identify policies, strategies and methods that can be utilized/adapted within the assigned project context and propose general recommendations and directions for MSME development.
- Design a methodology and conduct a realistic assessment of the current situation of SME sector in the target locations.
- Identify potential MSMEs types to be established through the project interventions on improving the competitiveness of selected priority value chains.
- Identify the required enabling environment, resources, finance, capacity required for establishment of the SMEs and support operationalization per target group.
- Conduct feasibility studies and provide advice on economic viability for new entrepreneurs when requested.
- Develop programmes on how to support SME development through business support services, business incubators, and other innovative approaches.
- Support entrepreneurs in the design and implementation of tailored growth plans/strategies for their enterprises.
- Review business proposals prepared by future entrepreneurs and ensure their soundness.
- Support future entrepreneurs in identifying digital solutions to improve the MSME service quality.
- Build capacity of staff at the Entrepreneurs Support Division on various elements of a successful SME strategies development and monitoring and evaluation.
- Design and conduct training workshop sessions as required.
- Other duties as needed
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- An advanced university degree in agriculture, agriculture economy, agribusiness, or a related field.
- At least 7 years of experience in designing and implementing MSMEs establishment related activities.
- Working knowledge (Level C) of English.
- This position is only open to Egyptian nationals.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Relevance and extent of experience in working with inter-governemental bodies and multi-disciplinary teams.
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Good analytical skills with strong orientation to details;
- Experience in report writing and data analysis;
- Demonstrated communication skills, including the ability to convey and present sensitive issues/positions;
- Excellent analysis and report writing skills including the ability to develop presentations and deliver them to national level stakeholders.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: [email protected]
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]
Application Deadline: 11th October, 2023, 9:59:00 PM